01 March 2016

2.249: I Hate Job Interviews

I hate job interviews and I am certain that I am not alone.

I understand their "importance" in the hiring process, but I am so incredibly bad at speaking with strangers that interviews serve as more of a detriment than as an opportunity to showcase my qualifications and skills.

I have always suffered from anxiety when it comes to speaking with strangers.  Whether it is a job interview or when I have to address the public, I become overwhelmed with anxiety and my body becomes stiff and my brain grinds to a slow halt.

The only time I ever feel "relaxed" when speaking with a stranger or an audience is when they are laughing because I am acting "outside of myself" and behaving like an idiot.  It is my coping mechanism, but I am rarely in a situation in which such behavior is tolerable.

And a job interview is definitely a situation where behaving like the village idiot is not tolerated.  So, I suffer and my chance at being offered the position suffers.

I know in my mind that I am capable of amazing things if I am left to my own devices and that is why I have always preferred working "behind-the-scenes" and avoiding the spotlight.  This is why I could never be an actor (also, I lack the talent) or a public office holder.

I hate job interview, but until I am able to create an opportunity for me to be my own boss; I am stuck.