02 March 2016

2.250: More on Interviews

I am excited about the possibilities that lie ahead of me.  Of course, the excitement could easily turn into bitter disappointment depending on the decisions of others.  Yesterday, I wrote about my disdain for interviews and I stand by opinion, but I will say that I am incredibly grateful to have been given the opportunity to even interview for a position.  The past four months have not been fruitful and I am on my last legs or to put things bluntly:  I desperately need a job by the end of the month or I am going to be hurting financially.  As for the interview that elicited my post from yesterday, I will admit that it did not go to plan.

This is not to say that it went poorly--I still firmly believe that I was able to exhibit my capabilities and knowledge; I simply wish that I had been able to articulate my points in a clearer manner.  I tried to be as casual as possible, but my nervousness shined as clear as the sun.  I attempted to be as honest and truthful in my responses as possible, but there were moments in which I came off as being too blunt.  (Another fine example of when "keeping it real goes wrong".  Please pardon The Chapelle Show reference, I still live in the early years of the 21st Century.)

Another point of personal contention was my inability to articulate points and avoid the use of filler words or noises in my responses to their inquiries.  I understand that the use of filler is commonplace in everyday conversations, but within the context of an employment interview, filler words can be an indication of unpreparedness and shine negatively upon a candidate for a position.  Of course, I have always been a more articulate writer than a speaker, but face-to-face conversations are incredibly difficult to avoid.

Anyways, I wish I had placed a greater emphasis on my actual experiences and skills rather than stray off into tangents.  But, as I said earlier, I may have done better than I believe.  What has been done is done and there is little else one can do about it now.  I can only hope that I am given strong consideration though I have been trying my best to taper expectations.