03 March 2016

2.251: Desperate Times

I am desperate.

In fact, I was so desperate that prior to writing this post, I was writing a desperate plea seeking “divine intervention” from whatever divine entity that would grant my request to be offered the position I interviewed for on Monday.

But, I stopped myself.

I stopped myself because (1) I know that it would be pointless, (2) I was creating an excuse (albeit, an implausible and ridiculous excuse), and (3) I was entering into the mindset that I am incapable of achieving goals on my own (i.e., I was devaluing myself).

If you could not figure it out, I struggle with issues of confidence, esteem, and self-image.  It is a problem that has plagued me my entire life and it is an issue that I must contend with on a daily basis.

I know that I am more than capable of not only filling the position I interviewed for on Monday but excelling at the position.  And yet, I find myself constantly short-changing myself and tapering expectations because of my previous failures.

I have to remind myself that I did my best and if I am not offered the position, then it is their loss. And I have to remind myself that there is a lesson in everything—successes and failures—and that one must always keep learning.

I know that there will be moments when I am overcome with anxiety and doubt, but during these moments; I have to remember that I am better today than I was yesterday and that I will be better tomorrow than I am today.

I made a commitment to be a better person this year and the years to come and while I will falter and be tripped up by hurdles, I can only move in one direction:  FORWARD!  I do not need “divine intervention” because everything I need is in me and what I lack today can be learned tomorrow.

Now, I am not attempting to degrade the individuals of faith that pray for divine intervention because if it gives them solace; who am I to judge?  Personally, I must learn to find solace from not only myself but from the experiences I encounter every single day.

DFTBA