27 March 2016

2.275: Reviewing Zootopia


Zootopia (2016)

I honestly cannot remember the last film I watched from Walt Disney Animation Studios (I am not counting Disney Pixar films) but I am certain that it was not as good as Zootopia. When I first heard about Zootopia, I brushed it aside as yet another animated feature anthropomorphic animals but this film was seriously good; much better than I could have imagined and far better than it should have been.

The premise of the film is simple: a bunny (voiced by Ginnifer Godwin) achieves her life's dream of becoming a police officer only to be confronted by the realization that her optimistic perception of the world (or more specifically, Zootopia) is flawed by the inherent prejudices that exist within it. I would continue to go further in explaining the plot of the film but I would risk spoiling the film.

With Zootopia, Disney managed to strike a fine balance between an entertaining and fun film for all ages with a message of tolerance and seeing beyond the prejudices that are passed on through the generations. Some will say that such a message does not have a place in a children's film but there is a good chance that the individuals raising such a complaint are close-minded, paranoid individuals with a warped perspective of the world (or Trump supporters).

I would highly encourage parents to take their children to see Zootopia or do like I did and go see it with a friend.