23 March 2016

2.271: I'M ANGRY!

I am angry!  I am outraged!  I am torn asunder by anguish!  I am actually...meh.

If you read the news or listen to the radio (odd that I would choose two of the most antiquated forms of news gathering), then you would know that we are angry!  We are angry at the bureaucratic suits that have stymied our country's progress!  We are outraged at the greedy Wall Street fat cats that stuff their pockets with ill-gotten gains!  We are furious at the lack of diversity in Hollywood!  And we are pissed at yoga being taught to grade school children!  Seriously!  We are filled with feelings of AAUGH!

Again, not really.  Oh, I will not deny that I am not annoyed by many things (e.g., petty former employers, useless trolls residing in the family storage shed, etc.) but I am not really outraged by anything.  If anything, I am sort of amused by it.  Yes, I understand that there are certain situations that warrant angst (e.g., the continued rise of Donald Trump) but to be so consumed by anger that you become irrational and lose all sense of self is absurd.  As the old adage says:  "Keep calm and carry on".

Personally, I have gotten better at controlling my temper and while I will from time to time "lose it", "it" is generally lost in a harmless, playful manner meant more for jest than actual outrage.  I "rage" on the road to garner a cheap laugh and nothing more.  For me, remaining calm is paramount and if there is something that genuinely warrants anger, then it is important for me to understand why I feel the way I feel.  Anger achieves little--it only hinders the solution.

So rather than lash out in rage, consider what options you can take to resolve the issue that is confronting you and if you still decide that anger is the best course of action, then who am I to argue?