02 July 2014

Year 1, Day 6

There were no World Cup matches today, but that does not mean that I am at a lost for topics to discuss this evening (as to whether or not I choose to discuss them is a whole other matter).  First, I would like to take a more personal tone and discuss my ongoing battle with debt.  I am in debt--severe debt, debt that will take decades (at my current pace) to clear.  From credit cards to student loans, I am in debt up to my eyeballs and sadly, I see no relief in sight.  This month is particularly difficult because of my automobile insurance payment, which alone accounts for nearly 30% of my total monthly income. Yes, I only have to worry about this particular expenditure only twice a year, but I am so financially irresponsible that I am not capable of setting aside the appropriate amount of funds to ensure that this expenditure does not become an additional burden upon my already strained financial status.  Of course, there is no one else to blame for my shortcomings other than myself, but I cannot envision a lifestyle in which I deprive myself of some leisurely exploits.  As much as it chagrins me to say it:  it is a fact that you only live once and why should I deprive myself of joy because of debt.

The second topic I would like to make my opinion known about is the recent Supreme Court ruling the Hobby Lobby case.  It is bullshit.  For starters, equating corporations (tightly-held or not) to people when there are individuals (i.e., women) within society that are not treated as equals within mankind.  Then, there is the scary potential of major corporations or businesses recusing themselves from abiding to legal statues simply because it impedes upon their "religious freedom".  In case you may be wondering:  businesses are not people.