06 July 2014

Year 1, Day 10

How was my weekend? To be honest, rather poor, but it could be much worse (it could always be much worse). First, I spent the first part of my extended weekend trying to reconcile the fact that I am in dire financial straits (is that the correct term?). Second, my drama-filled younger half-brother has once again shown up at our doorway, but rather than linger about as before; he has taken to taking my mother's vehicle while she serves as caretaker to her father (my grandfather). Third, I have been bored. Yes, there were soccer matches to be watched, but let's be frank and say that the past few matches I have watched have been rather lackluster in comparison to earlier games at the World Cup.

I know that I said that I would try to decrease the number of negative posts I publish, but old habits, die hard. In truth, I know that my parents will support me if I need help (or at least, my mother will--my father has his own financial hardships to resolve). And I know that most likely this current situation with my brother will blow over and he will be out of my hair sooner rather than later and even if it is a more long-term issue, then I know it is for the better because he needed to exorcise this petulant parasite from his life anyways. In the end, he is family and hopefully, he will learn something from this experience though it is looking like it is off to a shaky start. Finally, I know that financial restraint will pay off in the long term and that short-term boredom will eventually lead to long-term happiness. I have debts to be paid and career decisions to make, but I will evaluate my current situation and hopefully, come to a wise decision.

If there is one thing I know about myself, it is this: despite my generally negative outlook on things (I prefer to think of it as being more realistic); I have a knack for finding the silver lining in even the most dire or situations. I only realized this recently when a friend and I were conversing about job resumes for our less than marketable patrons at the library.