12 July 2014

Year 1, Day 16

Tonight's update is coming to you from my grandfather's house (actually, it is my aunt and uncle's house, but that is besides the point since it was basically my grandpa that forced them to move from Virginia to Georgia). Anyway, I'm playing caretaker for the evening while my aunt, uncle and mother spend some time and money in Cherokee. Of course, I have no intentions of boring you with the details (of which there are few) of my time watching over my grandpa instead I plan on boring you with my prediction for tomorrow's World Cup final match between Argentina and Germany.

I suppose you could dub this match "the best player in the world" (since the current best player of the world crapped out of the tournament in the group stage) versus "the current best national team in the world" (given their dominate victory against Brazil in the semifinal round). If one were to go by each side's performance thus far in the tournament, then Germany would have to be considered the heavy favorites to win. But, I could care less about recent past performances instead I chose to believe that Germany have played their best match of the tournament already and Lionel Messi has yet to fully play to his potential.  And this is why I believe that Argentina behind a legacy-solidifying performance from Messi will win the World Cup final in the home of their greatest national rivals, Brazil, while at the same time ensuring that Europeans remain trophy-less in World Cups played in South America (or the Americas in General).