24 April 2016

2.303: Status Update

So, I started my part-time position at Dollar General over three weeks and during this time, I have come to learn that the position is more physical and strenuous than I had initially believed. In my opinion, the amount of labor and effort required to effectively fulfill the position are certainly worth more than the $7.50 per hour I (and my other part-time coworkers) are paid. *** For a company that saw $20.3 BILLION in revenue in 2015, the fact that much of its in-store associates are paid just over minimum wage is shameful but I digress. *** In my three weeks as a part-time sales associate, I have noticed a significant decline in (1) the number of prompt updates and (2) the number of total updates to John Past 30. I am not going to apologize (an action I have a tendency to take in regards to manners such as this) and I am not to make promises that I will likely be unable to keep because I know that my personal and professional life are only going to become more difficult over the next few weeks and months. But, I will say the following:

I have not and will not give up on John Past 30 as I have other projects in the past but I know that my inability to balance my personal and professional lives will continue to make it more difficult for me to draft posts on a consistent basis.

Professionally, I am working again and I felt as though I had an opportunity to move quickly into a full-time, temporary position at a local medical manufacturing plant but I have heard nothing from the staffing agency in over a week since my "interview" and I worry that I may have been hurt by my overconfidence, lack of manufacturing experience, and abrupt interview with the on-site hiring coordinator (we ran out of time). As for my career goal of returning to the library profession, there is a new opportunity that has arisen at the local technical college. It is a part-time position that promises 29 hours a week and wage of $9 per hour, it is not the ideal situation but (1) it is a position at a library, (2) the library's schedule (it is only open Monday through Thursday) would allow me to continue to pursue additional employment or remain at Dollar General alongside my colleague, and (3) it would give me my weekends and potentially a pathway towards attending Dragon Con and Anime Weekend Atlanta. On the other hand, the position is only part-time, offers no benefits, and pays poorly in comparison to the full-time position at the medical manufacturing plant (I would have to work every day of the week at both the library and Dollar General in order to make close to what I would make in two weeks at the plant). Then again, the work shifts at the library and Dollar General would be more manageable than the likely shift of 19:00 to 07:00 at the plant and with the position at the plant, I am not guaranteed my ideal shift thus meaning I could miss out on both, Dragon Con and Anime Weekend Atlanta. And then, there are the outstanding applications and resumes that I have already submitted. In short, my professional life is an extraordinary mess.

But, not to be outdone, my personal life is not much better. I will start with the positive, my grandfather is out of the hospital but he did have another episode a few days after being discharged. As of now, he is mending at home (slowly). And that is pretty much it for the positives. I am still stressed by the troll and now, it has grown its presence to include a troll ho (I do not know what you call a female troll but this rhymes and I like it). The troll and its ho spends much of its days in its troll cave (our former storage house) and only enters the house when I am not around and while this brings some joy to me; I know that this is only temporary and the result of me failing to block its Internet access (which causes me distress because I am uncertain of what it is planning using our family's Internet access). Meanwhile, the troll's ho has managed to cause me stress and I have not even met it (nor do I want to). It has managed this feat by continuously parking its vehicle behind my family's house rather than park it on the road like any normal (and non-suspicious) individual because that is not suspicious in any way. In truth, I have come to hate being at the house because their presence turns my stomach and causes me intense stress. I know my life would improve vastly if the troll and its ho would simply leave and never return and if there is ANY justice in this world, the criminal justice system will do that for me soon by sentencing the troll to prison. Of course, such an action would mean that something has gone right in my life and we know that this cannot happen because nothing good happens in my life.

Anyways, that is my life--what I have been doing, why I have not been posting regularly, and how I have somehow pissed off some universal force that has the power to heap incredible amounts of negativity on my life.