15 April 2016

2.294: Smash the Stash! 005


Y: The Last Man Deluxe Edition, Volume I
Brian K. Vaughan
Pia Guerra
Jose Marzan, Jr.

After some time, I finally got around to reading Y: The Last Man. And my initial impression is that is a promising book that definitely leaves the reader wanting more. But given the hype around the title (developed primarily by a former coworker during the course of my three years in the library system), I was expecting more from the start of the series (as though the deaths of every man on the planet were not enough). Along with its "slow" start, I was frequently annoyed by the actions and attitude of the book's lead protagonist, Yorick. Of course, I am far from certain about how I would behave and react if I were in his position. Regardless, I am intrigued to learn more about what caused the catastrophe and whether or not Yorick and his cohorts are able to allude those that would prefer to see the last man on Earth dead long enough to restore some semblance of normalcy to the world.

---------- || J+30 || ----------

Black Panther #1 (2016-Present)
Ta'Nehisi Coates
Brian Stelfreeze

I am wholly unfamiliar with the Black Panther of the Marvel Universe aside from the hype surrounding the character's debut within the MCU in the upcoming Captain America:  Civil War. In truth, I am more familiar with the writer of the series, Ta'Nehisi Coates. Coates's Between the World and Me is a beautifully written book describing the modern black struggle in the form of a letter written by a concerned father to his teenage son. Anyways, it was Coates's manner of expressing the modern struggle of blacks in America that piqued my curiosity about his take on Marvel Comic's most prominent black character. After reading this initial issue of the series, I am left to wonder about whether or not I should have read more about the Black Panther prior to reading this issue because I felt lost at times while reading the issues. Of course, my inclination towards being confused by comics and graphic novels did not detract from my appreciation of the issue and my anticipation for the next issue of the series.