13 April 2016

2.292A: Reviewing Dawn of Justice

First, I will admit that there have been far too many days since I last wrote something of "substance" but I aim to rectify this deficiency TONIGHT! In the brief free time during the course of tonight's Sporting Kansas City match and Kobe Bryant's final game, I will be writing and it starts NOW!

Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Could someone turn on the lights? Because it seemed as though the sun never rises in either Metropolis or Gotham City (or the DC Extended Universe) and when it does, it always seems dreary and dull. I get it--I understand that aside from being the sequel to Henry Cavill's first outing as Superman, Man of Steel, Dawn of Justice (because I cannot bring myself to type out Batman "V." Superman) is supposed to set up DC's cinematic universe in the build up to the Justice League film. In this regard, it kind of succeeded though everything felt rushed; Dawn of Justice did "introduce" the members of the cinematic Justice League (kind of). As a standalone film, Dawn of Justice was just not good. Superman bored me, Lex Luthor made me want to punch Jesse Eisenberg in the face more, and Batman was okay but that who sequence in which the focus of the film shifts because he learns that his mother and Clark's mother share the same name was a bit ridiculous. I sincerely wanted Dawn of Justice to be good but the truth is that DC/Warner Bros. still has no clue as to how to make a Superman film enjoyable.