25 October 2015

2.121

I believe I should finally publish something about my final day at Anime Weekend Atlanta.  Here it goes:

I checked out of my room at the Radisson at around 11:30 AM.  For breakfast, I finished the remaining chicken cordon bleu from the Marietta Diner--cold (since there are no microwaves in guest rooms).  PRO TIP:  Despite its name, the Marietta Diner's prices are not reminiscent of the typical diner--large portions but big prices. I arrived at the convention center around noon and subsequently, checked in for my "final" shift of the convention.  Supposedly, I was short a few hours of my minimum, which I agreed though the amount with which I was short was a point of contention.  And to my surprise, I was not working the autograph line.  Instead, I was sent to retrieve a walkie-talkie from Tech Ops, which was another surprise to me because I did not realize that I was authorized to carry one on my person.  I suppose being a returning member of staff automatically means you are qualified despite undergoing no training at all.  Anyways, my assignment was basically to go wherever assistance may be needed--there was none.  Eventually, my team (a couple) and I were dispatched over to the Galaxxxy / Neeko special event to manage the line (of about 20 people).  From there, the adventure began.  My team and I were sent to the Galleria Ballrooms to maintain lines and watch doors (if necessary).  Turns out, only one room required managing and this is where one of the greatest shortcomings of any all-volunteer operated conventions came to forefront.  So, at 2 PM Sunday, there was supposed to be a Sailor Moon panel presented by VIZ Media--no biggie, right?  Well, for some inexplicable reason, there was a line that formed outside of the entrance to the ballroom despite (1) the room being empty (the doors were closed so I did not know until I entered the room myself) and (2) AWA rarely clears panel room so in theory a person could squat in one room for an entire day if by chance everything they wanted to see took place in that room.  Anyways, upon entering the room I learn that the only people inside are a Tech Ops staffer setting up the sound system (though there were supposedly other panels in the room earlier in the day) and an Events staffer who informed me that the VIZ Media representatives had yet to appear and that she (or anyone else) was able to locate the panelists.  So, at her insistence since she was a representative from the responsible convention department, we kept the doors closed and the attendees out despite the previously mention facts and the fact that it was now 2 PM.  My crew and I managed the surprisingly growing line and did our best to keep them up to date with what was happening (though in truth, one of my guys was rather restless and I did not do much to mitigate his "restlessness").  2:15 PM arrives and still nothing and obviously, the attendees are getting restless, but the Events staffer, who is now alone in the room, only approaches the door to inform me that someone was supposed to bring her a charger cord for her phone--and that she was awaiting her contact at Events to update her.  2:25 arrives and the attendees are becoming frustrated so I make the decision to inform the Events staffer that we need to make a call on the panel--either let the attendees in or cancel it.  While we are having this discussing, in walks Stephanie Sheh (convention guest, VA for Sailor Moon in Sailor Moon Crystal) and she inquires about the status of the panel.  We fill her in on the situation and she gets to work on her mobile phone and in less than a minute she learns that (1) the VIZ representative that was suppose to present the panel was not even at AWA because she was ill and had been quarantined to her apartment and (2) the convention (or at least, its CEO) had known about the cancellation since the Tuesday prior to the start of the convention.  Way to communicate guys!  So, Stephanie asks about the crowd at which point I inform her that the mass of people she passed en route to the panel (that she was not even scheduled to be present at) was the crowd waiting for the panel.  And this prompts (this dear, sweet angel of a woman) to say that she could do an impromptu Q&A session for the crowd until her schedule autograph session.  Meanwhile, the poor Events staffer was clueless to what was happening because she did not even know who Stephanie Sheh was--she just informed her supervisors that someone name Stephanie Sheh was going to do a Q&A.  Anyways, the session happens and Sheh saves the day (I tweeted her personally thanking her for what she had done and she favorited it).  Of course, one would think that such a scenario could not possibly happen again and yet it did at the 3:30 PM Hetalia Panel.  Sadly, in this case, there was no gracious VA to save the day since it was supposed to be a fan panel and at the end of it (for me), the attendees were climbing onto the stage and the Events staffer simply let them run with it and at this decision; I was done with it and my shift.

After ending my shift at a little after 4 PM, I made my way into the dealers room for the first time as a simple attendee, but I was broke and nothing (fortunately) beckoned to me to buy it (though an actual Good Smile Company figure from the official GSC booth would have been nice).  So, the convention came to an official close at a little after 5 PM at which point my friend, another staffer and I decided to hang around for the Georgia Philharmonic concert.  Unfortunately, I made the stupid mistake of volunteering to help break down the Main Events room (what an idiot) and ended up not only missing the concert, but working until almost 8 PM despite having plans to meet up with another friend for dinner on my way home--I didn't even make it to Dead Dog.  So, there it is: my Sunday at AWA.  Overall, I did have a really great time and I look forward to it again in 2016 (if I'm in a position to make it back).  My only concern is the same concern I have every year:  communications--we simply do not talk to one another and that should not be the case given all of the technological advances we have.  Until next time, take care and DFTBA!