14 October 2015

2.110

I guess it would be best if I go ahead and finish my write-up of my experience at AWA.  So, Saturday... 

I spent my Saturday in the same manner as Friday--working the autograph lines.  But, unlike Friday, I assigned myself the task of autograph line end cap.  Basically, I took either a "Lines Start Here" sign or a "Do Not Enter" sign and situated myself at the back of the longest line at the time, which for Saturday was Stephanie Sheh and Christopher Sabat.  A funny thing occurred while serving in my newly created role for Christopher Sabat's line: 

A few minutes after the scheduled start of the signing session, the guest had yet to arrive and the line had been capped for almost an hour when a random individual approached me and asked about the line.  Instinctively, I replied (as I had dozens of times previously) that it was for Christopher Sabat and that it had already been capped--giving little notice to the individual that was inquiring.  Of course, the person asking was indeed Christopher Sabat and I felt ridiculous, but he took it in stride, I gave him a bro hug and he made his way to his position to begin the session.  Fortunately, the only ones that took notice were the small handful of people at the end of the line that I had become acquainted while we waited. 

Anyways, I spent about seven hours working the autograph area before I finally threw in the towel and called it quits for the day.  I returned to my hotel room with the intention of taking a "power" nap before heading back to catch up with my friend who worked the duration of my leave.  Of course, the nap ran long and that caused some grogginess, which did not help my commute back to the Galleria Centre.  I eventually caught up with my friend and we sort of just roamed the convention because (1) we weren't really on duty and (2) there was nothing we wanted to see or that we could get into anyways.

Now, the big event on Saturday is the "Dance" (don't call it a rave).  This kicked off about 10-ish and my friend and I thought we'd hang around and take in the scenes.  Eventually, he left the convention around midnight, which left me to linger around on my own for a little while.  I could have left with my friend, but I wanted to wait and see if anything jumped off like it did last year when someone pulled a fire alarm, which led to a full evacuation of the Renaissance Waverly.  And all of this occurred around midnight last year and that's why I hung around, but at about 1 AM I called it night because (1) I guess nothing was going to happen and (2) I was feeling hungry (I had only eaten a couple of hot dogs) and I wanted to make my yearly pilgrimage to the Marietta Diner (probably, the most expensive diner I have been to).  I got back to my room around 2:30 AM and was just relaxing when I noticed a Facebook post from AWA that fifth-floor fire alarm had been set off by someone smoking in their room--I had missed the excitement again.  And this was not even the most interesting part of the evening, within the comments of that thread, it was noted that the dance was abandoned early due to a gas leak.  Seriously, I miss all of the excitement. 

Well, I think that's all for now. Until next time, take care and DFTBA!