01 January 2015

1.189: Goals for 2015

It was only a matter of time before I finally sat down and drafted a list of goals for the New Year.  Last year, I attempted some rather ambitious goals (and nearly all failed).  This year, I’m going to keep my goals short, specific and reasonable—no vague or unrealistic goals this year.  Anyways, let’s get started:

Goal #1:  Read 52 Books
Last year, I set a goal of 24 books and I demolished that figure by rediscovering my love for graphic novels and including audio books.  And yes, those mediums count because graphic novels are books and when your commute takes nearly an hour both ways; audio books are a fantastic way to past the time.  Anyways, I’m aiming for a book a week and I’m still going to include graphic novels and audio books so bite me!

Goal #2:  Attend Dragon Con AND AWA
As I mentioned in my previous update, Dragon Con is set.  Anime Weekend Atlanta (AWA) is not.  Dragon Con is a wonderful event that I’ll get to share with some of my close companions, but it is also extremely expensive and with both conventions held within a month of one another; I know that it is going to be incredibly difficult on my budget.  AWA has become such a significant part of my life and since I began volunteering at the event two conventions ago, I feel as though there is still much more to give.  AWA is my event, my escape and my solace and to think that after so many years of attending and/or helping out that I may not be able to attend makes me sad.  So, I am going to try my best to make it to both events and that means saving money and tightening my budget even further than before.  It won’t be easy, but it is possible and this is something I really want.

Goal #3:  Be More Active Online
No, I don’t mean over-sharing on social media, but I do mean posting regularly (if not daily) on here, on my Tumblr, on Twitter, on Instagram and maybe, even on Facebook though I am not really interested in sharing my life with the people on there.  Not every post has to be poignant social commentary, but it needs to be meaningful to me regardless of how unintelligible and incoherent it may read.  Like I said before, I’m hoping to introduce some regular “columns” on J+30 and I’m still working on understanding Tumblr, but I hope this will motivate me to be more active in my ongoing battle to stave off oblivion.

Anyways, that’s it!  No resolutions about weight loss though I could stand to lose some, no goals about getting out of debt because that is not happening within a year and I am more likely to go further into it before I get out of it, and no promises about being a better person; I just want to be me—whatever that is—and I don’t want to be some fake individual that tries to get on with people that I know I could never get along with.  My life is my own and I’m the only that’s going to take care of it and as long as I do my best to take care of me; the rest should fall in line.  So, here’s to 2015 and whatever it brings my way and to anyone that actually reads this:  DFTBA.