18 January 2015

1.206: Shite Book Review #4

All New X-Men, Volume 2: Here to Stay
Brian Michael Bendis | David Marquez | Stuart Immonen
To be frank, I have enjoyed this particular iteration of the X-Men franchise.  The idea of two (actually, three) X-Men squads, one from the past (the “original” X-Men) and two from the “current” timeline (one led by Storm, Shadowcat and Wolverine, the other by Cyclops, Emma Frost and Magneto), is intriguing and somewhat confusion—I am reading the All-New series, but I have yet to read any of the Uncanny series.  Anyway, in this particular volume, Marvel Girl (or Jean Gray) and the rest of the originals find themselves still coping with their new existence in a world in which the leader of the “rogue” mutant cause is Cyclops and Professor Charles Xavier is dead; killed at the hands of Cyclops.  Anyway, as I read through the book, I’m reminded of a few things as well as learn a couple of new things like: (1) Cyclops, current and original, is still an annoying, arrogant and self-righteous prick, (2) Kitty Pryde is pretty awesome and (3) Jean Gray, despite her angst, is a powerful heroine.  I’ve never really read an “X” book, but I’m thoroughly enjoying this series (as I have already stated) and I’m interested in seeing where this leads.

Goodreads Rating:  4 Stars