12 January 2015

1.200: Shite Book Review #3

Now that I have gotten my days corrected.
Batman: The Killing Joke (The Deluxe Edition)
Alan Moore, Brian Bolland
I’m beginning to think that the writing of Alan Moore and I are simply not meant to coexist because (1) I did not care much for Watchmen and (2) I found The Killing Joke to be rather lacking.  Perhaps, the latter could be contributed to the book’s reputation as the definitive Batman/Joker story or the greatest Batman story, period.  Personally, I’m fond of Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns, but that is another subject all its own.  Look, I understand The Killing Joke’s significance in the Batman mythology, but in my opinion; the story fell short and its ending was less than enjoyable for a person that loathes such blatant ambiguity at the conclusion of stories.  In my opinion, utilizing such an abrupt and vague ending signifies to me that the writer was either too lazy or simply could not be bothered to create a conclusion.

Of course, not all was bad—I did enjoy the “origin” story of the Joker and the artwork was appealing and I finally read the infamous tale that ended Barbara Gordon’s “pre-New 52” tenure as Batgirl and started her character on the path toward Oracle.  But, it is my opinion that The Killing Joke was crushed under the weight of its own hype.  Perhaps, had I read this at an earlier date, I may have actually enjoyed it but we will never know.

Goodreads Rating:  2 Stars (Out of 5 Stars)