10 May 2016

2.319A: My Lao New Year Weekend

I believe I have exhausted the Blog Post Idea Generator because I have just spent the past fifteen minutes generating topics for today's "Random Topics" and I did not come across a single new topic. I figured that things were headed in this direction last week when I was forced to use another random topic generator to complete last week's "Random Topics" but I thought I would give it another attempt this week and see if anything changed; it did not. And to be honest, it is disappointing considering I only wrote about a handful of posts. So, what will happen with "Random Topics"? I do not know but I will most likely move on to another topic generator though that will not start this week. Instead, I thought I would simply write about something I wanted to discuss:  my weekend (or more accurately, the weekend of May 6-8).

To be honest, nothing truly extraordinary occurred but I just wanted to talk about what has been happening in my life. As of now, I am still an employee at Dollar General and I am still waiting to be contacted by my Kelly Services recruiter about an actual start date for my new position. The representative had contacted me last week about wishing to set a start date of yesterday (5/9) but I told that was not possible because I was still employed by my friend, the store manager at the Dollar General where I work, and I would need to at least give him a week's notice. Of course, the recruiters lapse in memory regarding my current employment status was just the tip of the iceberg of the oddities that have engulfed this process but I will save that for another time (maybe). On a related note, I have decided to pursue a position in a library system that is almost two hours away from me because that is how badly (1) this hiring process has been and (2) I want to work in a library. I have an acquaintance that works in the system and perhaps, she could lend a favorable hand though my track record of library employment has been less than stellar.

Anyways, I have become sidetracked and gone off topic. This past weekend was the designated weekend for one of the two Lao Buddhist temples in my area to celebrate the Lao New Year and the performer for this celebration is an old acquaintance of my father. So, I spent my Friday traveling to Hartfield-Jackson to pick the performer; his flight was scheduled to arrive at 15:20 EDT. If you know anything about traffic in Atlanta (traffic in general), then you know that I was caught in traffic for a significant duration of the trip down (which caused us, my father and I, to arrive a few minutes late) and the trip back. My father had the great idea of treating his friend to dinner at a sushi bar he enjoys but that did not occur because his friend (from San Diego) does not like sushi. Instead, we had dinner at the Saigon Cafe in Buford because the performer and his wife wanted pho (or McDonald's but there was no way my father was going to settle for a Big Mac). Personally, I do not like pho because I had it so much as a child that I simply became tired of eating it plus a lot of the actual pleasure of pho comes from seasoning your own broth--a skill that I lack. So, I settled for "Thai fried rice" with beef, chicken, and shrimp--the rice set heavy in my belly for the remainder of the evening and that is not a good thing.

Saturday was my day and I made the most of it after I got off of work at noon. As insinuated by my post for the day (5/7), I celebrated Free Comic Book Day by visiting three different comic shops (in order of visit): Galactic Quest in Buford, Rock Shop Music & Comics in Buford, and Oxford Comics in Atlanta. When we arrived at Galactic Quest, there was a band performing outside the shop but aside from them; it appeared as though we missed out on the majority of the scheduled events. There was still a good crowd inside the shop but given the relative ease I had in finding parking in comparison to last year; the crowd had certainly died down. Regardless, my friend and I picked up a few of the free books on offer and we were on our way. At Rock Shop, we picked up a few more free books and I purchased a book (I would have picked up more since they were on sale but they did not have any of the issues I wanted). I also witnessed a dance battle between two Deadpool cosplayers to determine fourth place in the shop's costume contest. At this point, we had moved so quickly between the two shops that we decided to swing by Oxford Comics to see if we could find the one FCBD book we both wanted but could not find at either of the first two shops we visited. Oxford Comics was unsurprisingly busy and while I was unable to locate the elusive FCBD book, I did purchase a couple more books to fill out my collection. Also, I got to see another former library coworker. From there, we made our way back to Gainesville to meet up with another friend for dinner and then Captain America:  Civil War. Unfortunately, there was a mix up between my friend and I and he missed out on Uncle Maddio's but he did arrive to see the movie, which I will review in a future post. And that was it for Saturday.

Nothing much occurred on Sunday--I looked over my grandfather while my aunt, his primary caretaker, went to the Lao New Year celebration to see if she could find some food to purchase for my grandfather. She was not away for more than hour before she returned home to resume her duties and allowing me to stop by the house before going into work. Anyways, I went to work and that was it for my weekend. As I said, nothing special occurred but sometimes you just want to write about it.