06 May 2016

2.315: Smash the Stash! 006

Wonder Woman, Volume 6:  Bones
Brian Azzarello, Writer
Cliff Chiang, Artist

The volume contains Issues 30-35 of Wonder Woman (Volume IV)

I was going to act as though I knew what I was talking about by name-dropping Azzarello and Chiang and mentioning the fact that this volume was the finale of their run on Wonder Woman but I who would I be fooling? I will say that this volume did conclude the "First Born" story arc (that is what I am calling the arc). So, how was the finale of my first-ever Wonder Woman story? To be frank, it was good. Apparently, the arch ret-conned Wonder Woman's origin and turned the princess of the Amazons of Paradise Island into the God of War but I can live with it. Having never read a Wonder Woman book prior to picking up this run, I have little to no standing to make any argument in opposition to the direction Azzarello took with Wonder Woman. All I know is the following: Wonder Woman and the Gods of Olympus were portrayed in an unfamiliar manner that managed to capture my attention and entertain me and isn't that all one can ask of a comic book series?

As for this volume, in particular, I will say that some time has passed since I read the previous volumes of the series so I cannot make any direct comparisons to those volumes but I will say that this volume was a good read in that it wrapped an overall solid story arc. Yes, it had its weak moments (e.g. the First Born seeking to make Wonder Woman his own and sharing the world with her) but its strong moments (e.g. the remaining Gods of Olympus coming together to defend Themyscira from the forces of the First Born) definitely outweighed its weaknesses. Of course, I cannot recommend this volume alone because you will need to story arc in its entirety to understand what is occurring (which is often the case for most finales) but I do recommend picking up this run of the Wonder Woman series.