08 May 2016

2.317: You Did This Nelly!

I was going to write a review of the latest Captain America film but on the way home from work this evening, I heard a song from Nelly titled "Die a Happy Man" (apparently, it is a cover of a country song from an artist named Thomas Rhett) and it got me thinking about just how much I disagree with the lyrics of this song. In case you are unfamiliar with the song, you can listen to the original version of it below:


Before I proceed with the point of this post, I just want to say that I do not have an actual problem with the song; I simply disagree with its intention (I'm not sure if that is the word I wanted to use but I'm going to use it anyways). And perhaps, I disagree with being able to find satisfying happiness in another individual because I am single and have been for the majority of my life but I would like to say that I disagree with the notion put forth by this song because I believe one would be doing oneself a grave injustice by simply being satisfied with what you have and never trying to experience anything new. At moments like this, the phrase "bucket list" often comes to mind and for me, personally, the notion of having a bucket list is about as ridiculous as holding out hope that you and your favorite celebrity crush will one day meet and they will fall in love with you. Regardless, it is something that many people have including me and I thought I would share with you some of the items from my bucket list:

1) Visit Japan - I know that this may be the wrong reason for going but I love anime and I would to visit the birthplace of anime and experience the Japanese otaku lifestyle.

2) Watch a Manchester United match at Old Trafford - It would be a dream fulfilled to have the chance to see Manchester United live at the Theater of Dreams.

3) Attend San Diego Comic Con - Look, I know that SDCC is not the fan-oriented experience it once was but in terms of these sorts of events, SDCC remains near the pinnacle.

Well, that is all for now but there are plenty of other items on my bucket list that would easily top any sort of happiness I could find in another individual. I realize that what I just said sounds incredible selfish but it is what it is.