01 September 2014

Year 1, Day 67

I'm disappointed with United's decision to not only sell off Danny Welbeck, a lifelong supporter of the club and an academy product, but to sell him to a league rival, Arsenal.

I know that following the signings of Di Maria and Falcao there was no longer a place for him within United's attack, but why make a move for Falcao when what the side needed was a central defender?

Yes, Falcao is a remarkably talented goal scorer, but he is coming off a major knee injury that not only ended his club season early last year but hampered his role at the World Cup.

I suppose the attack was lacking and there is a possibly that RVP may have his own major knee procedure, but it still irks me. Perhaps, because I want to believe that United are above just buying a side a la City.

But, I am wrong and I need to face the fact that days of youth academy development is no longer a critical part of the plans for clubs as large United.