03 December 2014

1.160: The struggle is real

I'm going to try this again, but this time I'm going straight in and I'm not pulling punches.  First off, fuck the grand jury that permitted yet another police officer off the hook for killing another black man.  And second, fuck my white coworkers for being oblivious to their white privilege.  Look, I'll admit it: I'm Asian and as far as minorities in America goes, we're doing okay. But, that doesn't mean I'm getting a free pass on the race train.  I've been fortunate that the amount of ignorant, racist shit I've encountered in my life is minimal in comparison to my counterparts of black or Latino heritage, but it happens and for the most part; I brush off.

Now, some (myself included) will say that I'm whitewashed and that I'm a fake Asian, but fuck you! I may have primarily white friends and enjoy white activities, but that is more a product of the environment than the fact that I'm any less of a minority; I'm whitewashed not white.  Honestly, attempting to explain white privilege to individuals that received the majority of their news from FOX or sites like Drudge is similar to ramming one's head into a brick wall--the wall will remain standing, but you'll be left bloodied and mangled.  Earlier this evening, I sat as I listened to three of my white coworkers defend the excessive actions of these overzealous police officers.  In the Ferguson case, Michael Brown was a thug that was behaving like punk and that meant he deserved to be shot to death multiple times while the shooter didn't even deserve to stand trial.  In the case of Eric Garner, the police was right to utilize a banned maneuver in subduing a large black male for illegally selling cigarettes on a street corner.  In Cleveland, where a twelve year old black child was killed by a white police officer, the officer had to defend himself from a twelve year old with a realistic looking Airsoft gun.  And in the grand scheme of things, the reason for all of this is, according to my lazy ass, imbecile departmental coworker, rap music and the fact that it perpetuates violence (-.-*). OMFG!

Honestly, I want to say I like my coworkers, but moments like this really aggravate for a couple of reasons: (1) because they're oblivious idiots and (2) I'm the fucking tool that let's shit like this be spoken because I'm to slow-witted to appropriately retort at the moment.  So there, some this anger is about me, but a lot more of it is about how ignorant and simple-minded certain white people are in regards to race relations.  As the viral hashtag goes: #BlackLivesMatter despite what grand juries, the media and my coworkers want to believe.

My god I hope this makes some sense because this off the cuff writing style is the sort of shit I try so hard to avoid because of my undiagnosed OCD.