26 June 2016

Year 30 (Plus Three)

Today marks the start of a new year in my life (and subsequently, a new year of John Past 30) but before I begin this new year, allow me a moment to properly bid farewell to "Year 30+2":







Good riddance. To say that the past year of my life has been difficult would be a grave understatement. At 32:


  • I was wrongly terminated from a position that I loved because of petty, thin-skinned administrators incapable of handling justified dissent.
  • I was unable of finding another position within another library. Hell, I was only able to warrant ONE interview with another library system!
  • I have been forced to tolerate the existence of a petulant, prison-bound troll and its mentally-handicapped girlfriend that it physically and verbally assaults because of a warped perception of "motherly love".
  • My grandfather (the only one of my grandparents on both sides of my family that I formed a relationship with) passed away at the age of 85 though I know that he was not ready to pass on from this life but the physicians at the hospital he was assigned refused to further treat him (most likely, because of his advanced age and the fear that should he have passed away during a procedure or under treatment; our family would have sought legal action despite the fact that we would have not).

And this is only a small sampling of the horrendous trials I have confronted during the past year of my life.

Of course, as I look ahead to "Year 30+3", my prospects are not too promising but that is the thing about the start of anything "new"; THERE IS HOPE! Sure, my hopefulness could very easily become despair but on this day and at this moment, I am allowed to have hope that this new year can be better than this past year of life. At present, I can find hope in the fact that I am employed (in TWO positions nonetheless though I will likely have to resign from my part-time position at my friend's store because my new full-time position is consuming a tremendous amount of my limited time) and earning an income that covers my expenses.

So, as I embark on the next year of my life, I will try to remain positive and hopeful that this year will be much better than last year.