01 August 2021

Looking Forward to August 2021

Professionally, the start of August sees another "long-time" employee leaving our organization, but unlike the departures in July, this employee is moving to a new position with one of our partner organizations. This employee's exit also marks the first staffer to leave our organization in part due to internal conflicts with another member of our staff. I am not here to pass judgment in either direction nor am I here to "spill the tea," but it is an ongoing situation that has been playing out over the past few months. Actually, I should correct myself and say that this is actually not the first departure that has been affected by the ongoing issues within this specific department. In the actual first incident, the person had already been planning to leave; they just left earlier than initially expected. Anyway, our organization will only have six employees for a brief amount of time, but the following week will see us add a new employee, another manager-level staffer.

Our organization will be composed of one Executive Director that oversees all staffers, one Organizing Director that oversees three disgruntled staffers, one Communications Manager with no Communications staff, and one Operations Manager that also lacks staff. We are hiring, but everyone is aware of how difficult it is to find the right person for a position.

In addition to the staffing changes, I am still mired in an audit that never seems to end, and the best part of this situation is that I have to face this alone while participating in 14 hours of online training courses. (To be frank, there is nothing worse than progressive trainers that believe in their own hype because they expect others to work at "their level.") By the way, most of everything I have been writing about is happening in the first week of August.

So, before I spiral too far into a work-related despair, let's talk about some of the activities and events that I am looking forward to personally. As I am writing this post, I have the CONCACAF Gold Cup final match between Mexico and the United States playing on my television in the background. Speaking of soccer, the United States women's Olympic soccer team faces Canada in the semifinal of the 2020 2021 Olympic women's soccer tournament; kickoff is at 4 AM/ET.

  • Atlanta United (MLS) has three home matches in August.
  • Atlanta United 2 (USL Championship) has two home matches in August.
  • Manchester United (EPL) kicks off its 2021-22 English Premier League campaign on August 14 against Leeds United; kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 AM/ET.
And if you read my "Look Back at July 2021" post, then you will have seen that I am going to Las Vegas for the first time ever in mid-August. Personally, August is shaping up to be a much more enjoyable month than July but I am prepared for all of it to go down the drain because of the Delta variant and moronic anti-vaxxers who refuse to get the COVID vaccine.

Anyway, I think I am going to conclude this post here because the thought of revisiting work-related items is more than I want to think about at this moment. (Timestamp Note:  Paul Arriola has missed a second sitter in this final, knocking a loose ball directly into the falling Mexican goalkeeper.)