29 June 2014

Year 1, Day 3

Yesterday was a much needed day of relaxation.  After a couple of days of frenetic activities, a day of simply relaxing and watching soccer was necessary.  In the first match of the day, Brasil narrowly escaped elimination thanks to an immense performance by goalkeeper Julio Cesar during the penalty shootout.  Say what you will about penalty shootouts, but there is no denying that it creates intense drama.  The second match of yesterday called by appropriately dubbed: "The James (pronounced HA-mes) Rodriguez Show" as the Monaco playmaker netted a brace to carry Colombia into its first World Cup quarterfinal.  And as much as I dislike FIFA, I am certain that the powers that be had huge smiles across their faces knowing that Uruguay are eliminated and that it was because of Rodriguez and Colombia's entertaining style of play and not the suspension of Luis Suarez that was the cause.

Seriously, if you can find footage from James's first goal against Uruguay, simply watch and be amazed:


As for today, I'm looking forward to opening match of the day between Mexico and the Netherlands and while I normally find myself rooting for the Oranje and against El Tri; I may put personal feelings aside and root for the CONCACAF side. In other words, I won't be disappointed with the result of this match regardless of which way it goes.